Engineering Manager, Performance, Etsy
2012 – present, Brooklyn, New York
Software Engineer, Etsy
2011 – 2012, Brooklyn, New York
- Performance and Core infrastructure
2010 – 2011, Dublin, Ireland
- Social game development with ActionScript and Python.
2009 – 2010, Dublin, Ireland
Freelance software development consulting. Projects include:
2005 – 2009, San Francisco, California
Radical Designs is a full service web development group focused exclusively on the needs of non-profit and grassroots social change organizations. I joined as the fourth employee and helped grow to an eight person team, delivering quality service to under-resourced clients while maintaining sustainable business practices. I have extensive practice in doing more with less.
As Senior Engineer,
- I created a new offering in custom web application development with Ruby on Rails, allowing us to build more sophisticated applications on shorter timelines.
- I introduced agile methods — continuous integration, test driven development, pair programming, and variable scope contracts — resulting in increased product quality, development team productivity, and client satisfaction.
- I initiated a massive refactoring of the flagship legacy PHP CMS application, applying design patterns for reuse and decreased complexity.
- I interviewed, hired, and mentored new developers.
- I helped plan and implement our incorporation, creating governance structures for sustainability and longevity.
- I participated in all decision making, including business and technology strategy.
- I was involved in all aspects of our business — responding to proposals, project planning and management, building and managing client relationships, application development, and systems administration.
2004, San Francisco, California
- Created a social network for supporting young people in electoral activism. Wrote front end interfaces using mod_perl with template toolkit and created object persistence library for redland rdf store.
Software Engineer, Raytheon
2001 – 2002, Marlborough, Massachusetts
- Tested air traffic control and satellite communication systems.
- Received training in Java programming, software development methodologies, and responding to requests for proposal